- This event has passed.
Common Threads…Textile Traditions and Handicrafts: Flax Class
September 26, 2020 @ 9:00 am - 12:00 pm
Saturday, September 26, 9 a.m.–12 p.m.
Participants learn how the flax plant is transformed into beautiful linen cloth. The program covers the history of flax, and how it affected our culture. Many common ‘sayings’ we still hear today come from the time when nearly every farm grew and processed flax. Visit Renfrew’s flax patch and learn how flax grows, and its many uses. Participants will use antique tools to process flax into linen, including spinning flax on a drop spindle, and creating a woven bookmark using the thread they spun. They will also try their hand on the large loom.
Age: Adults & teens age 15 & up
Cost: $45 member of Institute at Renfrew, $50 nonmember
Materials fee: $5.00 (not optional)
To Register: call the Institute at 717-762-0373 or email us at email@example.com
NOTE ON RESERVATIONS:
The Institute at Renfrew has resumed limited programming in accordance with established COVID-19 safety protocols.
Participants and attendees must read and agree to the guidelines in place.
By registering for this program, you agree to abide by safety measures in place.
Current guidelines for Institute at Renfrew programs:
• Participants will abide by guidelines under the GREEN phase of Renfrew Museum & Park’s reopening plan.
• Participants must observe distancing of 6 ft. while walking, gathering, and whenever possible during the program.
• Mask use is required when indoors, or when 6 ft. physical distancing is not possible outdoors.
• No sharing of program materials or other items with those outside your family/household.
• Please stay home if you are ill, or have been in contact with known or suspected cases of COVID 19 in the past 14 days.
Please observe the recommendations of the PA Dept. of Health regarding travel to certain states. Check the most up-to-date list here. It is recommended that you quarantine for 14 days upon return to Pennsylvania if you visit any of the states on the list.